Ok, I had a little too much fun and decided to make a rover powered by the Surface Pro 3 and Arduino micro-controller! I use an xbox 360 controller to remotely drive the car also use the Surface's built-in webcam to drive it from anywhere!
How it works:
1. The Xbox 360 controller is plugged into a laptop
2. The laptop is connected to my TV via HDMI
3. The laptop is using a remote desktop connection to connect to the Surface (via either wifi or the internet)
4. I use Pinnacle gamer profiler (http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/) to convert the Xbox 360 buttons into keyboard presses (for example, left on the controller is detected as an "L" keyboard key press.
5. The "keyboard letters" are sent over the remote desktop connection to the Surface.
6. The Surface reads the incoming letters and sends them to the Arduino microcontroller via USB (using a serial monitor connection)
7. The Arduino converts the key letters into motion of the rover (example: "L" turnes the car left)
8. I have the webcam active on the Surface so that I can see where it's going through my remote desktop connection.
9. That's it! I can put a mobile hotspot on my rover and drive it remotely from anywhere over the internet!
I hope you enjoyed this video. Please like, subscribe, and share!